Sunday, April 27, 2014

Fiber Series: Cotton

I just can't even handle how cute this hat is. 


I love everything about it, from the polished seam decreases...


...to the I-cord ties.


Unfortunately I don't have any toddlers to try it on, so I had to model it on a growler from Canal Park Brewing Company (empty, sadly).


So here's the picture from the pattern, modeled on an actual baby.



See?? It's cute!

Pattern: Alladin
Yarn: Cotton, sport weight, something from Knit Picks that I got a million years ago, and since then I lost the label :(
Needles: Clover Bamboo Circs, size 2
 
I've made very few things with cotton, including this hat and a baby blanket, but as a knitter I like to keep myself informed about the fiber I work with. That's why I studied horticulture for 4 years. Just kidding, I did that for funzies.

cotton: yes, it's a plant.

Just like carrots. But you don't wear carrots. And you don't eat cotton. 


The most important things I learned from working at Bed Bath and Beyond is that the quality of cotton depends on the staple length (length of each individual fiber) and that Receiving is the best job in the company. The cotton I used is Gossypium barbadense, or pima (so named for the Native Americans who grew it for USDA cotton testing in the early 1900's). Pima has an extra long staple, which makes it great for knitting because the yarn won't easily break or pull apart.

Cotton is an amazing fiber because it's durable even when washed and soft on sensitive skin. That's why it's great for making baby clothes (which require frequent washings), plus it's gentle on their brand new skin! This tiny hat would be an amazing for a small human to wear for warmth in the winter; or as a light, breathable, sun hat; or, if you add a bell at the end, as an adorable accessory for an elf costume.

Before I sign off, I have an announcement!

I'll be offering knitting lessons this summer, and I need your help! What's a knitting instructor without her student? The ideal student would be interested in learning how to manage stress, be productive while doing menial tasks such as watching TV or riding the bus, all while creating beautiful clothing and accessories. So Twin Cities residents can pass on the info, or comment below. Or send me an owl, whichever is most convenient.

13 comments:

  1. I wish I lived close to your area and could take knitting lessons from you. Your stitches are beautiful. I love yarns and am fascinated with the new bamboo yarns. Looking forward to you posting about that too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've actually never used bamboo yarn (yet!!). Hopefully soon, so I can post about it!

      Delete
  2. That is a cute hat. You are very talented! Great job

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a cute hat! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! It was fun to make too.

      Delete
  4. I wish I could take lessons from you! I crochet but I would love to start knitting. How difficult is it to switch from crochet to knitting? Is it fairly similar as far as technique goes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to give you lessons! :) In my opinion crochet and knitting are very different... Crochet is much more flexible (read: complicated. lol). There are a ton of ways to even put the hook in a stitch, for starters (front loop, back loop, both, front post, back post, etc!) but for knitting you really only have one or two ways to put the needle in the stitch. I'd say, though, that doing both crafts is a good idea because when you switch periodically then you're not using the same movements over and over, reducing the risk of a task repetition injury.

      Delete
    2. But seriously whenever you're back in MN let me know and we can get tea and knit :)

      Delete
  5. Squeeeee! I love the hat! I had something similar for my daughter when she was little that a friend gave me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's awesome! Hopefully this hat will make some beautiful memories like that someday.

      Delete
  6. one of my goals is to learn how to knit this summer. I hope I can make cute items like these!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great summer goal! I suggest finding a TV show to watch while you learn. If it's a comedy watch 2 episodes, or if it's a drama watch 1. That's about the amount of time per day you should be setting aside to practice. Plus it makes knitting more fun in the initial frustration stages. :)

      Delete